Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Truth From Mat Black: An interview about the end of his times with Pink Fuzzy Animals

Hi Mat, first off, I want to thank you for allowing me to collaborate with you to do this interview. Thank you for taking the time to share with us your side of what happened. As your fans, we don’t have to know, but we are grateful to you giving us the (somewhat gory) details of what happened with the band and the decision for you to leave.
Q: I’m just going to start from the beginning here. When did the problems begin as far as scheduling, shows, practices, ect.? Were there signs of trouble earlier on?
MB: I’d like to start by saying, it is not my intention to cause problems for anyone. All I want to do is make clear, that my departure from the band was not a decision made by me, nor was it one I was included in making, or would have made if it were up to me. I really loved playing with Pink Fuzzy Animals, and I still don’t understand the thought process behind this decision.  As far as I was aware, everything going great between us as bandmates. I certainly didn’t recognize any signs of trouble, on any level.
Q: You also stated that Ben Graupner was the one who hired you in the first place. When you were hired, was it explained to you that you were expected to be at every show or practice? We know you are from Las Vegas, and the commute would be quite a trip. (was there any way to work around that?)
MB: Actually, both of the Ben’s asked me to join the band, after I jammed with them one afternoon. At the the Jam session I was very up front and honest, about ALL aspects of my life, and was told nothing was a problem. I have never had a problem with commuting to Los Angeles, and have spent more time there with the band working, than I have in Las Vegas. I had no reason to think it was a problem for the band.
Q: Can you tell us how everything went down? This is the question most of the fans want to know. (Summarize with how much you want to tell about what happened here.) You can tell us as much or as little as you want. Most importantly, the truth needs to be out there before anyone else twists it or people start speculating.
MB: As I have said before, this really came out of the blue for me. We played a great show at the Viper Room in LA, I hung out for a couple of days before returning to Vegas, and then I receive a phone call from Ben G, explaining that He and Ben J have been talking, and during that talk decided that I couldn’t be part of the band anymore. Obviously, I was shocked and upset. I asked why, and he gave me a few reasons, for it is too expensive to bring you into LA,  there are 100’s of musicians in LA that can do my job better than me, and it doesn’t make sense to bring me in when there are 100’s of locals right there. I told Ben that I am nothing but dedicated to the Band, and would do anything to continue to be part of it. I told him I’d be in LA whenever, for however long he needed me to be there. I even told him I’d pay for my own travel expenses etc, to not be a burden. None of this seemed to matter. We hung up, and I have been in shock ever since. I would have done anything I needed to do, to be a part of that band. I loved it, and am deeply saddened by what has happened. I was really hoping this would last a long time.
Q: Heartbreaking as it is to see you leaving PFA, you will always be remembered as a founding member. But, with that being said, your future looks bright! Are you still going to perform as a musician?
MB: I love music, and it will always be part of my life in one way or another. As far as another band is concerned, I have no immediate plans for that right now, but who knows what the future will bring.
Q: Let’s get down to the future here. You stated you have a bunch of future projects in Vegas. Can you tell us about the film projects you will be working on? 
MB: I can’t say much right now, but I have just been cast in a short film. Will share the details, when I have them.
Q: Also, I’ve read you will be doing a close-up magic show regularly, which you will have to keep us posted on! We are all super excited to hear about it! Can you tell us a little more about it and if you’ll be working with any other possibly famous musicians? (meaning Criss Angel or someone like that)
MB: I’ll not be working with the MindFreak, but I am performing Close Up Magic, weekly, at La Salsa Cantina on the Las Vegas Strip. (Call ahead for Reservations)
Q: Are there any other projects you may be doing? Now that the fans have gotten to know you, we don’t want to miss out on a thing!
MB: You guys have been awesome from the beginning, and I’m sorry this has happened. I hope we can all stay in touch, and I will keep you posted on any future projects I am working on.
Q: Would you be willing to do a StageIt for your magician work? We’d love to see that. 
MB: I don’t think I’d be against the idea.
Q: Again, thank you for clearing things up, and also clearing the names of people who weren’t involved. We are saddened by your leaving, but glad to know we are going to see more from you in the future. Any last comments you’d like to add here? *anything I’ve left out pretty much…
MB: Just a big thank you again for everyone’s support. It was so much fun playing for you all, and getting to know you. I really thought PFA was a great fit. We all genuinely enjoyed each other. Again, I want to make clear, it is not my intention to cause drama, but to be truthful with you, the fans. Without you guys, we’d have nothing, and you deserve to be told the truth, instead of being strung along. Remember, there was a PFA show the night that I announced I had been fired, and nothing had been released to the fans from them to explain this. I take this to be a slap in the face. One can only presume they had planned to do it live, there and then at the show, but who knows. I personally feel the fans deserve to be treated better than that, and I think I deserve to be treated better than that.
MBF: Thank you so much, again, for agreeing to let me do this interview with you. You have the support of the fans that you have made over such a short amount of time, and we are all glad that you are sticking around, even if it is not with the PFA. Much Love and Gratitude from all of us who have gotten the opportunity to speak to you, meet you, and write to you, and the many more good days to come.
MB: Thank you too! I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate everything. I hope my answers make sense…. Its now 4am, so who the hell knows!  seriously though, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Interview Credit: Lara Mayberry-Johnson of Mat Black Fans

No comments:

Post a Comment